Thursday, September 7, 2017

Baked Rice Pudding (Riz au lait) with plum compote


   

 

DavidLebovitz

Baked Rice Pudding (Riz au lait) with plum compote
David, 07 Sep 10:33 AM

One great thing about France is you can drive around, stop in any number of small towns, from the Jura to Normandy, and check out regional specialties. People often come to Paris and ask about where they can get a good cassoulet, or bouillabaisse, and they look positively crestfallen when I tell them they really need to go to Gascony or Marseille, respectively, if they want to get the real deal. Some dishes are so specialized, though, that even the locals might not have heard of them, as was the case when we were trying to find Kig ha farz in Brittany, and no one I asked about it, even knew what it was.
People were looking at me like I was speaking in some crazy language, which the Breton language might sound like to someone (especially when spoken with an American accent), but when I finally found someone who did know what it was, she said that we had to go to another part of Brittany to get it.

Although I have a Kig ha farz recipe on my site, I did come across another one in a book of Breton recipes I picked up while there. I know people in Brittany have a sweet tooth, as evident by all the Kouign amanns in every bakery, and even at roadside stands, but their recipe called for 3/4 cup/150g of sugar, which seems a lot for a dumpling that gets paired with meat and vegetables. (My recipe has 1 tablespoon.)
The book, however, inspired me to make the recipe for baked rice pudding that was in it. It was titled Riz au lait au four de la voisine which referenced a time when les femmes brought their rice pudding to the local baker, which they would cook using the residual heat of the ovens, once they were done baking their loaves of bread for the day.

1px

No comments:

Post a Comment